Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 2019 – Present
Managed the school of education’s mixed-reality simulator, establishing university-wide working groups, building budgets, creating product roadmaps, recruiting new staff, and presenting fiscal reports to stakeholders. Completed needs assessments for the simulator, convening focus groups, interviewing prospective users, and presenting findings to department leadership. Coordinated with cross-functional teams to, per user requirements, ideate and launch new products.
- Provided guidance to school of education’s doctoral program as a member of the Ed.D. advisory council.
- Developed a quick-response instructional resource website for the pandemic with 3,500+ users in April 2020.
- Designed a simulation suite targeting family engagement skills with outcome, fidelity, and user experience metrics, catalyzing significant growth in users’ skills and materials adoption by three universities.
- Collaborated with engineers on machine learning approaches to measuring skill growth from simulated practice, resulting in ten thousand dollars in grant funding and multiple cross-departmental and cross-university partnerships.
- Directed large-scale, mixed-methods studies on the efficacy and acceptability of simulated practice, leading to several papers under review at top education and computer science journals and national conference presentations.
- Conducted user experience research to understand and address barriers to use that resulted in doubled simulator usage within a year.
Graduate Research Assistant, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 2016 – 2019
Carried out innovative research on equity-focused teaching practices, distilling complex practices into policy-relevant insights and integrating insights into cohesive recommendations for teacher education. Developed individualized and web-based supports for teachers on inclusive teaching practices and regulatory compliance.
- Established strong relationships with school districts leading to in-depth interview, observation, and archival studies of high-impact teaching practices in districts and to published papers and projects under review.
- Delivered developmental feedback to teachers using the Classroom Assessment Scoring System and Classroom Teaching Scan System, which led to significant growth in teachers’ rates of feedback to students
- Led professional development series for school districts on inclusive teaching, increasing teachers’ knowledge of and interest in inclusive teaching practices.
- Completed a needs assessment of an educational non-profit focused on mission alignment that led to tighter alignment between vision statements and institutional policies.
- Carried out a performance analysis of special education teacher retention and generating a performance improvement roadmap tackling factors causing teacher burnout.
Education Specialist Mild/Moderate, Ibarra Elementary, San Diego, CA 2011 – 2016
Served as a lead special education teacher for a Title 1 school, managing complex caseloads, advocating for students, collaborating with stakeholders, supervising paraprofessionals, and launching new programs. Enhanced technology integration as lead technology teacher, managing learning management systems and problem-solving user challenges.
- Designed instructional and assessment products with 1,000+ downloads.
- Supported professional growth of special education staff, improving retention, job satisfaction, and efficacy.
- Created instructional support websites with 36,000+ views and average time on page of over four minutes.
- Mentored novice teachers providing individualized support and guidance to enhance satisfaction and performance.
- Oversaw cross-functional, multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS) committees, significantly increasing early detection of and interventions for students at risk of special education identification.
- Identified community partners, leading to thousands of dollars in donations, hundreds of volunteer hours, and new supports for families and students.
Resource Specialist, Oak Park Elementary San Diego, CA
Special Day Class Teacher, Cubberly Elementary San Diego, CA
Child Care Worker, New Alternatives Inc. El Cajon, CA
Assistant Teacher, Walker Home and School Needham, MA
Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) in Curriculum and Instruction
University of Virginia
Level II Education Specialist credential
San Diego State University
Masters in Special Education and Elementary Teaching Credential
University of San Diego
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
United World College
WordPress, Mediawiki, HTML, CSS, Nvivo, Dedoose, Qualtrics, Canvas, Moodle, Zoom, Jira, Microsoft Office (Excel, Forms, Word, SharePoint), Google Products
Yoga Alliance | Mindful Schools
Pro-ACT | Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
Linked In Become a Product Manager | Become an Agile Project Manager
State of California Clear Multiple Subject Credential | Level II Educational Specialist, Mild/Moderate